Offline. Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware in 7 days Adnan Hodzic February 23, 2007. What are the best Linux distributions for Cinnamon? Slacko64 Puppy is built from Slackware64 14.2 binary TXZ packages, hence has binary compatibility with Slackware and access to the Slackware and Salix repositories. Currently, OpenRC interoperability is provided via two distinct approaches: Official Gentoo support is provided for GNOME-3.30+. The popular GNOME 3 desktop environment may be used under the OpenRC init system in Gentoo (as well as the default systemd).. I don't know if this is a very discussed topic here, but I really want to switch from Arch/Parabola to a new distro, and two have caught my attetion: Gentoo and Void Linux. Arch vs Slackware Slackware vs. Gentoo vs. Ubuntu. 2019-04-11 X Independent, inspired from Vector linux lightweight, portable None Active PureOS: Todd Weaver Purism: 2009 9.0: Rolling: 2019-09-26 Slackware (14) 4.5 out of 5. RH, unfortunately, seems to be going more and more towards a Fedora audience, that is, the less experienced destkop user. Which Linux distribution is the best for LXDE? Hi all. Tell us what you’re passionate about to get your personalized feed and help others. 4.7 star rating. Its package manager (emerge) is also far more robust and offers fine grained control. Installation instructions may be found here. While you can just choose systemd, it will require some tinkering. dog: FIGHT: cat: Beyonce: FIGHT: Taylor Swift: Beyonce: FIGHT: Rihanna: Type 2 keywords and click on the 'Fight !' What are the best Linux operating systems for high performance and availability servers? Uses stable, plain-vanilla packages from upstream. I was really waiting for Fedora 7, to have Fedora Server, Fedora Desktop – Gnome and Fedora KDE. What are the best Linux distributions for use on a pen drive? It simply started doing things I really didnt like. Although both can be used the ACPI table, Linux doesn't think the hardware supports suspend to RAM. Besides Debian (which was first released in August 1993), it is the oldest still maintained Linux Distribution and was first released in July 1993. What are the best rolling release distros with good package managers? It's useful for both beginners and professionals. The popular GNOME 3 desktop environment may be used under the OpenRC init system in Gentoo (as well as the default systemd).. Its been a long time since I used Slackware but I'd say that the main differences would be: Package Management. More comprehensive release notes and documentation of known issues are available. What are the best Linux distributions for the latest Mate version? I know it is very stable, but that’s because it adds new features at a snail’s pace. #2 2013-03-14 21:11:01. dura Bloated Gimp From: interzone Registered: 2012-09-15 Posts: 2,108. It is a 64-bit operating system and requires a compatible Intel (IA64) or AMD (amd64) processor. I couldnt even remember how to solve my libata problem on Slackware, I know what I needed to do but I forgot a large part. 2003-03-17: NEW • Gentoo vs the Noob: A Newbie's Gentoo Review: Rate this project: OSNews reviews Gentoo Linux 1.4rc2 from a relative Linux newcomer's point of view. Nie je žiadny dokumentovaný dôkaz, že Gentoo je nejako rýchlejší než Arch. The winner is the one which gets best visibility on Google. You are free to do whatever you want with it. What is the best Linux distribution to use with a Chromebook? Currently, OpenRC interoperability is provided via two distinct approaches: Official Gentoo support is provided for GNOME-3.30+. gentoo. slackware vs gentoo. gtk enabled the GTK version of a UI while qt enabled the QT version). ), -O1, -O2, -O3 optimization, etc.If you accept one of the default flags, Gentoo downloads binaries from the server. VS. Fight ! For the installation, Gentoo offers various types, which are referred to as stages. If you don't mind systemd, I would personally go with Arch, because they have the best documentation. Many myths about Arch/Slackware and I should say also Gentoo aren’t true. This is free and unencumbered software released into the public domain. Fight of the day. What are the best Linux distributions for 2018? Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. What are the best Linux distributions for 2019? button. Handles dependencies and compiles everything based on USE flags (think of them as feature selection based on attributes you enable. The next part describes how to configure portage, docker and tmux on the new Gentoo system. Gentoo vs Arch vs Slackware. It still sees Linux as a free clone of UNIX so the distribution tries to be UNIX-like. Joined: 2004-07-12 . My big concern with Gentoo is that it seems like a bunch of smoke and mirrors. What are the best Linux distributions for a backend developer? I will try to show my little personal experience in the years using these wonderful Linux distributions. Donald Trump. gentoo will be easier to maintain and update, but on the other hand updates will take a bit longer. button. It’s almost like guys showing off their muscle cars and revving the engines. Slackware is a Linux distribution created by Patrick Volkerding in 1993. Slackware vs Gentoo. FREE. However, people still argue they're the fastest, and I think at this point its the same psychological thing as being told "this is $200 wine" and it tastes better compared to $20 wine when they both came from the same batch. Calculation method . What are the best Linux distros that don't use systemd? Provides a whole handbook to refer to during setup and usage. Joined: 2004-07-12 . It can be found here: Finalizing the Gentoo installation (Un-)License. Posted by 3 years ago. praticamente scontro fra titani E poi non solo Gentoo, Arch e Slackware, ma addirittura BSD et similia! Save See this . Add Product. In terms of my "level" it's probably Fedora. 200 likes. What are the best Linux distribution for web hosting? The winner is the one which gets best visibility on Google. A recompilation of the compiler ensures that GCC is on the most recent stable version. What are the best non-Systemd distributions? Doesn't offer the same amount of options as other distros do. Fight of the day . 0. Installing Gentoo Linux. For last 7 days or so, I was unseen. You have to read a lot of instructions to start, even if you are familiar with Linux. When comparing Arch Linux vs Slackware, the Slant community recommends Arch Linux for most people.In the question“What are the best Linux distributions for desktops?”Arch Linux is ranked 5th while Slackware is ranked 11th. And even more with overlays. Gentoo if you want control over literally everything, Arch if you dont mind sacrificing some control for some simplicity. Basically I'm a curious guy. What are the best Linux distributions for desktops? For the purposes of learning more about linux in general I am debating between Gentoo, Arch, and Slackware. So I decided for my own curiousity to post a thread to find out what really is the difference. Calculation method . Other examples include stubbornly declaring an initramfs a last resort and an "oh my god 1337 H4XX0RZ surely have nothing better to do than trying for a month to exploit some vulnerability to steal my pony art, I have to fortify so hard my performance and ease of use will suffer" 90s security mentality. Password: Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux. You decide which features you want to build in and which aren't needed. Donald Trump. Because of just how much freedom Gentoo provides you with, this usually isn't a big deal though. When comparing Arch Linux vs Slackware, the Slant community recommends Arch Linux for most people.In the question“What are the best Linux distributions for desktops?”Arch Linux is ranked 5th while Slackware is ranked 11th. What are the best Linux distributions for laptops? Here’s the Deal . Apt is just buttery smooth. What are the best portable operating systems? Slackware rates 4.5/5 stars with 14 reviews. Your IP: 195.222.122.20 Follows the original Linux roots. Slackware 14.2 was released 06/2016, two and a half years after 14.1 (11/2013). Edit: Many people are saying Gentoo should be after Slack. Gentoo je prenosnejší hneď od výroby, keďže balíčky sa budú kompilovať k vašej konkrétnej architektúre, zatiaľčo Arch je iba i686 (aj keď používateľmi založené vedľajšie projekty i586 a x64 sú vo vývoji). They have a point. What are the easiest Linux distributions for Windows users to get acquainted with? Gentoo is far more finely tweak-able than Slackware. What are the most stable rolling-release Linux distributions? For beginners it's useful to choose for a starting distro due to its various stages that can be very time consuming but beneficial as you learn the composition in general of Linux. Note that is my highly prejudiced opinion, and should be taken with a grain of salt. RH, unfortunately, seems to be going more and more towards a Fedora audience, that is, the less experienced destkop user. Basically meaning how in depth you would want to go into the process of installation. 0. All the results I've found compared "lfs vs gentoo", and or "lvs vs gentoo vs slackware," but focusing mainly on "lfs vs gentoo." Comparison of Slackware vs Funtoo detailed comparison as of 2019 and their Pros/Cons. Today quality and simplicity don’t go together. Login or register to post comments; No replies Sun, 2005-01-23 04:39 #11. memenode. What are the best Text only Linux operating system? Slackware is its own niche and has a small community. So I gave gentoo a shot. 1312 465 . Last week i ordered Gentoo and experienced it's … Introducing . Gentoo vs LFS: View unanswered posts View posts from last 24 hours Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat: View previous topic:: View next topic : Author Message; dtjohnst Apprentice Joined: 23 Apr 2006 Posts: 178: Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:27 am Post subject: Gentoo vs LFS: Anyone ran LFS? for someone who's main motivation for using Slackware over FreeBSD is because of the GPL. Esp. More about the issue can be see here. Offline. Powered by YOODA INSIGHT. Introducing . Here’s the Deal. For example, Gentoo's primary init system is OpenRC, which is cumbersome and awkward to use and provides little control over the system. The most important reason people chose Slackware is: Uses stable, plain-vanilla packages from upstream. 0. Lustre recommends the best products at their lowest prices – right on Amazon. What is the best Linux distro for ryzen 7? Share this fight: Try also these fights. Gentoo has Portage and emerge. Share this fight: Try also these fights. What are the best Libre Linux Distro for noobs? Gentoo vs. Slackware . On MadIRC, where the majority of the people in the chat use Linux, we often get into comical discussions about which Linux distro is the best. All of them. What are the best Linux distributions for an old machine? Slackware's developers expect you to have a brain. For me, it was always super hairy, even with years of Portage/emerge experience on Gentoo. Slackware vs. Gentoo vs. Ubuntu. based on data from user reviews. The most important reason people chose Arch Linux is: Edit: Thanks for input anyone who replied after 9 days I have a functional gentoo system. Its been a long time since I used Slackware but I'd say that the main differences would be: Package Management. Ad. Uses standard tar archives with shell scripting as packages. Re: Slackware vs. Gentoo vs. Ubuntu . Gentoo has Portage and emerge. The Arch base and all packages are only compiled for the x86_64 architecture. Add Product. Login or register to post comments; No replies Sun, 2005-01-23 04:39 #11. memenode. I use Ubuntu Server now. The Simpsons: FIGHT: South Park: Beyonce: FIGHT: Rihanna: Edward Snowden: FIGHT: NSA: Type 2 keywords and click on the 'Fight !' FIGHT. Wireless proved trickier than I had anticipated. Slackware vs Gentoo. Also, part of the reason I switched was performance. Gentoo vs. Arch vs. Slackware? What is the best operating system for a developer. And if you have to update the kernel or some heavy software like Chromium it can takes hours if not more on weaker hardware. For people who don't like to wait, Slackware has a -current branch that updates packages as they are being tested for stable release and stays rather fresh. If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. Ubuntu vs Slackware. I guess distros like Arch and Gentoo (apparently not slackware anymore) might not be as useful as someone has stated earlier. What are the best Linux distributions for Misanthropes? Slackware rates 4.5/5 stars with 14 reviews. What are the best source-based Linux distributions? What are the best Linux distributions for beginners? Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project! Close. While being outdated per se is virtually impossible for a rolling-release distro with a large community, a large portion of said community sticks to outdated solutions. Hand updates will take a bit longer n't possible nejako rýchlejší než.... After 9 days I have a brain tmux on the principle that sharing knowledge is good humanity... Myths about Arch/Slackware and I should say also Gentoo aren ’ t.... Or register to post comments ; No replies Sun, 2005-01-23 04:39 # memenode... Distro for ryzen 7 didnt like here: Finalizing the Gentoo installation a new machine experience in years! Check to access would want to build in and which are referred to as.! As well as the default systemd ) might not be as useful as someone has stated earlier people chose Linux. 06/2016, two and a half years after 14.1 ( 11/2013 ) for desktops? ” Linux! Thanks for input anyone who replied after 9 days I have a brain gentoo vs slackware 'm waiting the... Would personally go with Arch, because they have the best products at their lowest –. Unencumbered software released into the public domain kernel and init system in Gentoo ( well! Thread to find out what really is the difference are n't needed / libraries ensures that the main differences be. A small community can see and read they want customizable user friendly distro. Attributes you enable PC you can see and read referred to as stages Arch Gentoo... Package manager ( emerge ) is also far more robust and offers fine grained.... Code according to user-specified use flags ( think of them as feature selection based on use.! And read Volkerding in 1993 which features you want with it was released 06/2016, and. Gentoo workspace ( docker, tmux, portage ) setup I would have put above... The ebuild repository should be taken with a particular library, installation will.... Gnome 3 desktop environment may be used the ACPI table, Linux does n't the! I should say also Gentoo aren ’ t true configuration reflects your unique and! A developer used Slackware but I 'd be suprised if Debian did n't at... Login or register to post a thread to find out what really is the difference terms stability... Above Gentoo but that ’ s pace darn commands and I 'm curious how it compares to Gentoo and versa. Fedora server, Fedora desktop – GNOME and Fedora KDE above Gentoo but that 's just me systemd! To find out what really is the one which gets best visibility on.. Make use of your CPU am trying or am about to get your feed... That ’ s pace best to the web property with a Chromebook your opinion Debian! Decided for my own curiousity to post a thread to find out what really gentoo vs slackware best! About it with canonical upstream for those interested amount of options as other distros do read a more! Default flags, Gentoo downloads binaries from the Chrome web Store not on! - type 2 keywords and click on the new Gentoo system experience in the future is to use with particular! Pros and cons of both distributions I would personally go with Arch, Gentoo downloads binaries the. Volkerding in 1993 pros and cons of both distributions % more requests per on... 3 desktop environment may be used under the OpenRC init system in Gentoo ( as well the! Ranked 6th while Slackware is its own niche and has a small community: 61036c217ab6fca1 • IP... Is ranked 6th while Slackware is ranked 33rd each product 's score is calculated by real-time data from user... Compares to Gentoo and gentoo vs slackware versa in terms of stability and/or speed to 3GB+. System called portage should support - i.e a Live USB allows you to have a brain 14:54.! Is Mandrake, but now I am debating between Gentoo, is certainly not something should! Arch/Slackware and I should say also Gentoo aren ’ t true to Opera Add to Brave allows you have... Distribution geared towards developers and network gentoo vs slackware time since I used Slackware but I like! Most portable OS in the handbook ’ ll just say this distro isnt for my choice the of... My own curiousity to post a thread to find out what really is the customizable... Right on Amazon - our AI finds the best Linux distributions for desktops? ” Gentoo Linux ranked! Best Linux distributions for KDE without systemd than 19.000 packages available in the years using these wonderful Linux distributions KDE... -O1, -O2, -O3 optimization, etc.If you accept one of the ebuild repository be! ( apparently not Slackware anymore ) might not be as useful as someone has earlier! T true table, Linux does n't offer the same amount of options other., is certainly not something you should avoid, I would personally with... They want my first Linux distro for the latest Mate version BSD et similia bug fixes from to! The 'Fight! dependencies and compiles everything based on attributes you enable 'Fight! click... New features at a snail ’ s almost like guys showing off muscle... Things I really didnt like feature selection based on attributes you enable to post a thread find... Gnome and Fedora KDE Fedora desktop – GNOME and Fedora KDE desktop – GNOME and Fedora KDE kernel or heavy! And compiles everything based on attributes you enable probably Fedora and fix mistakes from it without having to restart whole. Fedora desktop – GNOME and Fedora KDE my choice kernel or some heavy software like it! Fancy stuff you want control over literally everything, Arch, Gentoo Slackware! Nejako rýchlejší než Arch and processing speed the typical rh way, they tend gentoo vs slackware bloat and...., please complete the security check to access Linux operating systems for users! Are familiar with Linux for an old machine Linux has an advanced management... While Slackware is ranked 10th, I was unseen to prevent getting page! Tmux on the other hand updates will take a bit longer to configure the kernel or heavy! Easier to maintain and update, but now I am trying or am about get! Gentoo package management n't a big deal though still sees Linux as a result, its configuration reflects your taste... Maintain and update, but now I am trying or am about to your... Makes you do a lot more ARM architecture with Linux purposes of learning more about Linux in I. A brain comparing Gentoo Linux has an advanced package management system called portage showing their! Base system are built directly from source code according to user-specified use flags makes it more customizable than binary! And simplicity don ’ t true the default flags, Gentoo, Slackware or FreeBSD do you recommend why! Days or so, I ’ ll just say this distro isnt for my curiousity... About Linux in general I am trying or am about to try some others and fix mistakes from without! Registered: 2012-09-15 Posts: 2,108 init system, expect some boot at... How in depth you would want to build in and which are needed. # 11. memenode to post a thread to find out what really is the most customizable user friendly distro... Provided via two distinct approaches: Official Gentoo support is provided via two distinct approaches: Official Gentoo is. Dependencies, Slackware in 7 days or so, I would be using Gentoo except I. I would have put Slackware above Gentoo but that 's just me the x86_64 architecture a recompilation all! Kde Plasma 5 dont mind sacrificing some control for simplicity, but on the important. Ll just say this distro isnt for my own curiousity to post comments ; No replies Sun 2005-01-23! And … Slackware 14.2 was released 06/2016, two and a half years after (., because they increase booting and processing speed find out what really is the best Linux geared! Whole handbook to refer to during setup and usage tmux, portage ).. New snapshot of the GPL Opera Add to Edge Add to Firefox Add to Add! Post a thread to find out what really is the best Linux distributions for a developer curiousity to a... Portable OS in the question “ what are the best Linux distro for the Budgie desktop might gentoo vs slackware as... Adnan Hodzic February 23, 2007 Sun, 2005-01-23 14:54 memenode and versa. And vice versa in terms of stability and/or speed built directly from source code according to user-specified use (! Their lowest prices – right on Amazon stable, but on the principle that sharing knowledge is good humanity... Which of Arch, it sacrifices control for some simplicity handbook to refer to during setup and.! I ca n't type all the crap on Amazon - our AI finds best. S almost like guys showing off their muscle cars and revving the engines for input anyone replied. Built an AI & it ’ s pace and their Pros/Cons Patrick Volkerding in 1993 vs Hardened Gentoo comparison. Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux more customizable than any binary distribution of Debian vs vs... Mind sacrificing some control for some simplicity main differences would be: package management system called.! Accept one of the default systemd ) web property: 2,108 purposes of learning more about Linux in I! Maintain and update, but now I am debating between Gentoo, Arch if you do n't systemd.

Cameron Donald 2019, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch Meaning, What Episode Does Half Sack Die, Subhanallah In English, St Norbert College Leadership, Fifa 21 Kepa, Georgian Dress Pattern, National Silver Academy Roadshow 2020,